Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

We have Genetically Enhanced Hamsters....






I know she looks cute...

but she almost ate our hamsters....we have another dog...but she's just not into hamsters

We had two new additions to our family over the summer in the form of hamsters. Two little funny, furry friends that I'm sure our dogs feel were only brought here to torture them. Which I guess in a way makes sense...I mean...it's probably like puting a pint of Haagen Daaz chocolate peanut butter in front of me and saying "No matter what you can't eat it".... Which reminds me of my sister... who has like 5 cats that are outdoor cats and experienced hunters...BUT...she likes to watch the birds from her kitchen window so she has like 10 bird feeders hanging from her trees out out there....so when I go there the cats are always bringing half eaten bird parts to the door...and I'm always like "WHAT are you THINKING???" and she always kind of looks at me like " Oh..." but guess what? there are still cats, bird feeders and half eaten bird parts with feathers stuck to them....
but I'm waaaay off track....


Anyway....


Friday night:


Britain: "Mom, did you leave the hamster door open?"


Me: "Nooooo....wh-...oh no, no, no, no ...you're kidding, right?"


Britain: "um...the door is open and they're gone"


Me:"WHADDYA MEAN GONE? they have to be somewhere in your room...um where are the dogs.....?"


Britain:"Duchess keeps trying to get in the back of my closet..."


about a half hour later after we disassemble britain's entire closet...we use the back of it for storage, we recover Splinter (that's Landon's hamster) looking a little worse for wear his fur sticking straight up...


Britain: "Where's Gerbil?" (that's Britain's hamsters name)


We look at each other, we look at Duchess who has, at this point rolled over on her back and is making her "guilty" face....


"Hamster Murderer!" I say


"Duchess you ate Gerbil?!?" Britain yells


Me: "Well, maybe she didn't eat him....maybe he's hiding somewhere..."


Britain: "I hope that it was at least a quick death"


Saturday still no sign of Gerbil...we have mourned his demise...and have somehow managed to move on....


Sunday night....Duchess starts barking and scratching at our display case...I look at Rob..."you think?"


He shrugs.."I don't know let's move it and see"....

I get down on the floor and out comes a little furry nose, sniffing around..."I don't believe it..." I say...."He's Alive!
Somehow, they managed to open the door, (because no one is my house is admitting to leaving it open) survived what had to be the equivalent of jumping off the Empire State Building and being attacked by Godzilla (Duchess)...and they are back all snug and happy in their cages......as if nothing ever happened....
I think they're Super Hamsters....
They're much luckier than the birds who live at my sister's....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a funny story, I am pleased they are both safe and side. Maybe the hamsters have nine lives?

Christi said...

OMG! I am rolling on the floor...that is too funny!!! smiles...

Kelly said...

That is a hilarious story, it kind of reminds me of when our turtle went missing this summer. I'm glad they are alive and well, I've always loved hamsters.

Lisa said...

Too funny, at least you don't have a hamster murderer for a dog...lol

Judy said...

Such a funny story...glad you finally found the missing hamster.

Angela Toucan said...

poor things, and sorry your son had to go through that too! Glad they are safe and sound (at least I hope they still are as I'm writting now.

Carolyn said...

Now playing.....The Hamster Dance!
Thanks goodness there hasn't been any hamster murders in your home. Just curious does the crime lab show up for those kind of murders? (I know that was bad)
Hope all is well with you, it's been super busy here, hoping that it will settled down soon. I need some downtime. LOL

Rita said...

So glad you have two healthy hamsters and the dog is not a criminal! :)

That is a great story -- I hope you plan to scrap it! Your journaling is all ready with this post! :)

Marnie said...

OH my this is so funny I had tears running down my face! Thank heavens the hamsters are all in one piece!